Gartsman Boris Ilich
Гарцман Борис Ильич
EDUCATION AND DEGREE:
BORIS I. GARTSMAN
Born in August 21, 1962, Vladivostok, Russia
Head of Laboratory of Hydrology and Climatology
Pacific Institute of Geography FEB RAS
· Dr.Sci.(Geography), Land Hydrology and Water Resources, Institute of Geography SB RAS, Irkutsk, 2005
· Senior Scientific Worker, Far Eastern Regional Hydrometeorological Research Institute, Vladivostok, 1996
· Ph.D., Land Hydrology and Water Resources, Institute of Geography SB RAS, Irkutsk, 1994
· M.Sc., with Honors and Distinction, Hydrology Engineering, Far Eastern State University, Vladivostok, 1984
QUALIFICATION AND SPECIALIZATION:
· Land Hydrology, Water Resources, Riverbed Processes
· Flood Forecasting and Calculation
· Modeling of Water Balance and Riverbed Processes in the River Systems
· Hydrometeorological Risk Analysis
· Processing of Hydrological Monitoring Data
· Management of Environmental Impact Assessment
Extraordinary Hydrological Extrema forming
Management of Complex Water Systems in ordinary and extraordinary conditions
Regulatory and Permitting More than 100 expert judgements on civil-engineering designs in Far Eastern region, Russia
Baseline Data Analysis
· Ecological company of Sakhalin. - Results of ecological researches under the project Sakhalin 1 in 2001 - 2003.
Environmental Impact Assessment
· FERHRI - Land hydrology part of Environmental Impact Assessment, Environmental Protection TEOC of project Sakhalin I, stage 1. – 2002, 2003.
International Project Management and Co-management
· National Science Council of Taiwan and Russian Foundation of Basic Research - River network pattern and watersheds morphology within north-west part of Pacific seismic belt – 2010;
· Austrian Exchange Service and Russian Foundation of Basic Research - Extremal dynamics and sustainability of river systems under climatic and landscape changes – 2006;
· National Science Council of Taiwan and Russian Foundation of Basic Research - Modeling dynamic river systems under extreme floods in different landscapes of monsoon climate zone – 2005;
· Netherlands Organisation for Scientific Research - Statistical Properties of Flood Runoff of North Euroasia Rivers under Conditions of Climate Change - 2001;
· MacArthur Foundation – Dynamics of Riverbed Process in Conditions of Economic Development of Valleys of the Small and Middle Rivers of the South of Russian Far East Region - 2000;
Domestic Project Management and Co-management
· Russian Foundation of Basic Research - Dynamic of river systems and water resources in Amur River Basin under the climate changes and human activity impact – 2009
· JSC RusHydro - Components of automatic forecasting system of water unflow to Bureya reservoir during warm season - 2008
· Russian Foundation of Basic Research - Theorethical basis and prototype of regional hydrological model – 2008
· Russian Foundation of Basic Research - Modern models and methods of analysis of river systems – 2008
· Bureyskaya HPP - Automatic method of short-time forecasting of water unflow to Bureya reservoir during warm season - 2007
· Russian Foundation of Basic Research - Extremal aspects of structure-function relations in river systems – 2004
· Far Eastern Regional Hydrometeorological Research Institute - Automatic Technology of Operative Hydrological Monitoring Data Processing - 2002
· Far Eastern Branch of Russian Academy of Sciences - Threshold effects at extreme floods formation and stability of landscape-hydrological systems – 2002.
· Far Eastern Regional Hydrometeorological Research Institute - Automatic short-time forecast technology of rain floods hydrograph (for Khor river basin as an example) – 2001
· Russian Foundation of Basic Research - Threshold Effects at Extreme Runoff Formation and Stability of Landscape-Hydrological Systems in Varying Climate Conditions – 2001;
· Russian Foundation of Basic Research - Flood Cycle of Small River Basin in Monsoon Climate Zone – 1998;
· Russian State Committee of Hydrometeorology and Environmental Monitoring - To Improve Methods of a Complex Estimation and Mapping of the Risk connected to Floods, Stochastic Estimations of Damage caused by them - 1998
· Russian State Committee of Hydrometeorology and Environmental Monitoring - To Develop the Automated Methods of Forecasts of Rain Floods on the Rivers of Peter the Great Bay Basin and Ussuri River Basin - 1998
· Governor of Primorskiy Kray – Flood Cycle Model of Small River Basin, Primorye -1996
· Goverment of Primorskiy Kray - Cartographical Division of Territory of the South of Primorski Krai on a Degree of Risk of Flooding and Water-Erosive Processes Influence during Floods - 1995
· Russian State Committee of Hydrometeorology and Environmental Monitoring - To Improve Methods of Calculations and Forecasts of Catastrophic Floods Characteristics on the Far East and Estimations of Damage caused by them - 1995
· Russian State Committee of Hydrometeorology and Environmental Monitoring - Scientific and Technical Program for Creating an Information System of Flood Forecasting and People Warning in the Primorskiy Kray - 1995
· Russian State Committee of Hydrometeorology and Environmental Monitoring - To Develop a Complex of New Methods of Calculation of the Basic Hydrological Characteristics - 1993
· Russian State Committee of Hydrometeorology and Environmental Monitoring - To Develop Methods of Calculations and Forecasts of Catastrophic Floods Characteristics on the South of the Far East – 1993
· Primorskiy Sovet of People’s Deputies – Long-term Program the Natural Resources Conservation and their Rational Use in Primorskiy Kray, Water-Economic Complex - 1992
Supervision and Co-supervision of:
· 4 PhD-thesises confirmed in Institute of Geography SB RAS, Irkutsk, Russia
· 1 Ms-thesis confirmed in University of Technology, Delft, Netherlands
· 3 post-graduation students in Pacific Institute of Geography FEB RAS, Vladivostok, Russia
2005 - current Head of Laboratory of Hydrology and Climatology, Pacific Institute of Geography FEB RAS, Vladivostok
2004 - 2005 Leading Researcher, Pacific Institute of Geography FEB RAS, Vladivostok
1997 – 2003 Senior Researcher, Pacific Institute of Geography FEB RAS, Vladivostok
1990 - 1997 Head of Department of Hydrological Studies, Far Eastern Regional Hydrometeorological Research Institute, Vladivostok.
1987 -1989 Junior Researcher, Department of Forest, Soil-Biological Institute FEB RAS, Vladivostok.
1986 -1987 Junior Researcher, Laboratory of Small Rivers, Far Eastern Institute of Hydrotechnics and Amelioration, Vladivostok .
1984 -1986 Senior Hydrologist at the Far Eastern Trust of Building Engineering Investigations, Khabarovsk
MEMBERSHIP OF PROFESSIONAL SOCIETIES
· Corresponding member of Russian Academy of Water Management Sciences
· Leader of working group 18 within Prediction in Ungauged Basins (PUB) initiative of International Association of Hydrological Sciences (IAHS)
MAIN PUBLICATIONS · T.S.Gubareva, B.I.Gartsman. Estimating Distribution Parameters of Extreme Hydrometeorological Characteristics by L-Moments Method// Water Resources, 2010, Vol. 37, No. 4, pp. 437-443
· Gartsman, B., van Nooijen, R, Kolechkina, A. Implementation issues ,or total risk calculation for groups of sites // Physics and Chemistry of the Earth, Parts A/B/C. Vol. 34, Iss. 10-12, 2009, P. 619-625 PDF_ENG
· Lee K.T., Chen N.C., Gartsman B.I. Impact of stream network structure on the transition break of peak flows // Journal of Hydrology, 2009, vol. 367, iss. 3-4, pp. 283-292 PDF_ENG
· B. I. Gartsman. Inventory of Spatial Factors under Evaluation of Probable Damage from the Inundation on the Extensive Territory // Izvestiya RAN. Seriya geograficheskaya 2 (2009) 78–84 (in Russ) DOC_RUS
· K. T. Lee, N. K. Cheng, B. I. Gartsman and A. N. Bugayets. A current version of the model of a unit hydrograph and its use in Taiwan and Russia // Geography and Natural Resources 30 (2009) 79–85 PDF_ENG
· B. I. Gartsman. Rain floods on rivers of the South of Far East: methods of calculation, forecasts, risk assessment / Pacific Institute of Geography FEB RAS. - Vladivostok: Dalnauka, 2008. 222 pp. (in Russ)
· B. I. Gartsman, A. N. Bugayets, N. D. Tegai, and S. M. Krasnopeyev. Analysis of the structure of river systems and the prospects for modeling hydrological processes // Geography and Natural Resources 29 (2008) 116–123 PDF_ENG PDF_RUS
· B. I. Gartsman. Effect of basin counter-regulation with extreme rain flood generation // Geography and Natural Resources 1 (2007) 14–21 (in Russ) PDF_RUS
· B. I. Gartsman, T. S. Gubareva. Forecast of the Rainfall Flood Hydrograph on the Far East Rivers // Russian Meteorology and Hydrology, Vol. 32, No. 5, 2007. ISSN 1068-3739. Allerton Press, Inc.
· L.M.Korytny, B.I.Gartsman, N.V.Kichigina, T.S.Gubareva. Heavy rain floods in the Far East and Eastern Siberia / Extreme Hydrological Events: New Concepts for Security. Nato Science Series: IV: Earth and Environmental Sciences. Springer-Verlag. Berlin-Heidelberg-New York. 2007. p. 125-135.
· Gartsman B.I., Gubareva T.S., Makagonova M.A. Severe flooding of the Amur river and disaster reduction planning // The International Symposium on Natural Disaster and Rural Planning Proceedings. The Association of Rural Planning, Japan. The University of Tokyo AGS Foundation, Tokyo. 2007. Pp. 9-18.
· N.-C., Chen, K. T., Lee, B.I., Gartsman. Relationship between Peak Discharge and Watershaed Area in the Nested Watershed. Journal of Taiwan Water Conservancy. Vol. 56. No. 4. 2008. (In Chinese) PDF_CHI
· N.-C., Chen, K. T., Lee, B.I., Gartsman. Applications of Flood Cycle Model for Daily Flow Simulating in Different Climatic Areas. Journal of Taiwan Water Conservancy. Vol. 56. No. 2. 2008. (In Chinese) PDF_CHI
· T.S.Gubareva, B.I.Gartsman. Flood discharges estimation in the Amur Basin: alternative approach and spatial relations / Flood, from Defence to management. 2005. Taylor & Francis Group, London. ISBN 0 415 38050 2, P.195-204 PDF_ENG
· B.I.Gartsman. Non-local exceeding frequency as probabilistic characteristic of events in spatial-distributed hydrological systems / ISSH - Stochastic Hydraulics 2005 - 23 and 24 May 2005 - Nijmegen - The Netherlands PDF_ENG
· M.Karasyov, B.Gartsman. About principles of regional analysis of riverbed processes in small and middle rivers and its antropogenic dynamic // Geomorphology. № 2. 2002. Pp. 10-16. (in Russ)
· B.Gartsman & M.Karasyov. Short-time flood forecast methodology using a hydro-meteorological risk concept for flood plains / Early Warning Systems for Natural Disaster Reduction. Springer-Verlag. Berlin-Heidelberg-New York. 2001. Р. 251-255.
· B.I.Gartsman. Runoff counter-regulation phenomenon in flood cycle model of small river basin // Geography & Natural Resources. N. 2. 2001. P. 142-149. (in Russ)
· B.Gartsman, M.Karasyov, L.A.Stepanenko. Risk mapping of flood and water-erosion processes development within valleys of monsoon zone rivers: methodical and application aspects // Water Resources. №1. 2000. pp.13-20.
· B.Gartsman & M.Karasyov. Rain floods in river valleys: risk control, protection and insurance / Natural Disaster Management. Tudor Rose. Leicester. 1999. pp. 114-116.
· B.Gartsman & M.Karasyov. Flooding in monsoon rivers: complex hydrometeorological risk analysis / Hydrological Extremes: Understanding, Predicting, Mitigating. IAHS Publ.no.255. 1999. pp. 307-310. PDF_ENG